The first paragraph of this article is here for a very specific reason. To promote the article on social media I had to make sure that there was no political speech in the first couple of lines so that it wouldn’t be censored. The original started here:
Democrats now control the White House and both chambers of Congress. They are calling for unity, but what they mean by that is, “Now everybody needs to agree with us.” That is not going to happen. I am not saying that in an obstinate way. I’m just being realistic and honest. People disagree and that is alright. Republicans were in charge for the last four years and many people disagreed with them, and I expected that as well because that is how life works.
This leads me to my one request to Democrats. Now that you’re in charge please give us the same courtesy that we gave to you when we were. That courtesy is this: When people disagree with you, don’t force them to do what you want.
This may surprise some of you after being told by the media for four years that President Trump was a fascist dictator, but I cannot think of anything that he forced us to do during his term. If you disagreed with President Trump and the Republicans, they did not make you do anything against your will. Republicans let people agree to disagree.
If, for example, you disagreed with the tax cuts that were passed, Republicans did not force you to go along with it. They implemented no penalties for people who wanted to keep paying the higher tax rates voluntarily. Yes, you can do that. Surprisingly, wealthy Democrats who complain that rich people don’t pay their fair share do not opt to pay more themselves when given that choice. Alright, maybe not so surprisingly.
Ultimately, this is the main thing that Republicans want: to be left alone. We want to control our own lives and let others control theirs. Another example; we may understand that homosexuality is immoral, but we do not block people from the practice. In fact, the Trump administration started a global effort to end the criminalization of homosexuality. (In contrast, Democrats kowtow to countries like Iran who put homosexuals to death.) Republicans also disagree with divisive groups like Antifa and Black Lives Matter, yet do not want them prevented from speaking or kicked off of social media. Another Republican belief is that God is central to the American way of life and necessary for our success, but we do not want to require church attendance. In other words, Republicans would like everybody to act in particular ways but think that people should be free to choose for themselves.
This approach is not a new one. It is actually one of the principles that our country was established on. Our Founding Fathers were wise men who understood that people would not always agree as to what should be done. They also knew that throughout history, when the powerful forced those who disagreed with them to conform to their will it sowed contempt, division and conflict. Their solution was liberty. If one group wants to do “A” and another group wants to do “B,” the answer is not to have the group in power force the other group to do what they command. Instead, the first group can do “A” and the second group can do “B.” They can try to use persuasion to win the other side over but they should not use coercion.
If Joe Biden really wants unity this is what he should do. Refrain from taking away our liberty. Allow people to have free will and do what they think is best for themselves. He can disagree with our choices but he should not overrule them. Here are ten great suggestions that the Democrats can do to respect the liberty of Americans:
- If you decide to raise taxes, make it optional to pay the old rate like the Republicans did for you.
- If you want people to wear masks, make it optional like the Republicans did.
- Let scared restaurant owners who want to shut down do so, and let the ones who want to remain open choose to do that. If patrons want to show up they can but if they are afraid they should also be free to stay home.
- Let churches decide whether to remain open or close down. If congregants do not want to attend they should not be forced to, but those who do should be allowed in.
- President Trump stopped enforcement of the Johnson Amendment, which threatens to take away tax-exempt status from churches if the pastor endorses a political candidate. Continue with that policy and allow pastors to decide for themselves what to say from the pulpit without threat of retaliation from the government.
- If somebody wants health insurance that covers pregnancy and drug rehabilitation they should be allowed to purchase it. If another person wants less expensive insurance that does not cover those things they should be allowed to choose that. If someone else prefers to pay out of pocket for medical care instead of buying insurance they should be able to do that.
- Do not force law abiding citizens to buy guns. Likewise, do not prohibit them from buying guns.
- If someone wants to do a job for $8 per hour, do not prohibit them from doing so and force them out of a job. Let people decide for themselves what wage to accept.
- Do not force people who are against murdering babies to pay for the murder of babies. Do not use taxpayer money for Planned Parenthood.
- Refrain from banning or restricting us from using certain products like incandescent light bulbs, straws, grocery bags, soda, and shower heads with good water pressure.
These are all things that Democrats have tried to dictate in the past. If they truly want unity this list would be a solid first step. Instead of using tyrannical power to control those of us who disagree with them, try going back to our founding vision of liberty. It’s the least they can do after Republicans did it for them the last four years.