In the 1995 Best Picture winner Braveheart, William Wallace rallies his troops with a speech that seems very fit for the time we live in right now. Early in the film William knows that the English are bad, but when they murder his young wife he knows he has to do something. He has to fight. We in America, and especially in the blue states like where I am in California, are at that point now. Our jobs and businesses have been taken by the government. Our ability to meet freely with people has been taken by the government. Our sports and entertainment have been taken by the government. If we want our freedom back we have to stand up and fight back. The big question I have been asked is, “How? What can we do?” Fortunately, I have come up with multiple, specific actions you can take to help us regain our freedom, and they are much easier actions than the Scots had to take against the English.
- Vote for candidates who promote small government. The lesson to be learned from this should not be to trust one party’s politicians to control our lives. The lesson should be that we should not trust the government to control our lives no matter who is in power. Our country was set up to restrain the government, not to restrain the people. The people themselves will disagree on things. The question to ask is, “what do you think should happen when someone disagrees with you?” If the answer is, “use the government to force them to do what I want,” then that is a problem. The answer should be, “let them disagree with me and live how they want.” Our goal should not be to force people to do what we want. Our goal should be freedom.
- Go to church. People need God, and people need community.
- Open your business. If you are a business owner you have the most at stake. You have worked hard all of your lives to open a restaurant or store and should be allowed to succeed if people like your product or service. Take Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s example. He just opened up his factory in Fremont, California, tweeting, “I will be on the line with everyone else. If anyone is arrested I ask that it only be me.”
- Support businesses that open up! This is where the rest of us can help, and I promise you it can be fun. You don’t even have to be able to afford a Tesla, although if you can, go for it! I have been to Nomad’s Canteen in San Clemente three times since owner Jeff Gourley reopened last week against government orders. Gourley is a friendly guy who told us about how he got his chicken recipe from a local while he was living in Belize. The food is fantastic and the people are even better! This is the most important thing to do right now. It will make a difference and here’s why. The line to get into Nomad’s was all the way out to the street. The first weekend they were open there were so many customers that they sold out of almost everything on the menu and had to close again for a few days. When other businesses see lines of people eager to spend money they will want in on the action. More and more places will open. When people see that all of us are out and surviving, the floodgates will open and we the people will win.
- The first restaurant that I heard about that opened up against government orders was Café El Dorado near Sacramento, California. I considered driving up there to show my support but it would be about 16 hours round trip. That gave me my next idea. For those of you who cannot make it to San Clemente or Sacramento, CA, or Castle Rock, Colorado to eat, or to Auburn, CA or Owosso, Michigan to get your hair cut, but want to show your support for the brave business owners and their employees who are trying to bring freedom back to our land, I have started a GoFundMe so that you can make a donation that will be given to those establishments that stand up against tyranny and open up. Not a penny will go into my pocket and I will post receipts on this blog so that you can see exactly where the donations are going. Also, if you donate and know of a business that has opened up, let me know in the comments or send me a message. The more money that is donated, the more people we can support!
- If you are scared, stay home. In fact, you should stay home forever because there are a lot of things outside that can kill you. As of this writing, 1 out of every 3,865 people in America have died of coronavirus. I don’t want to scare you panicky people, but according to numbers from the National Safety Council, 1 out of 106 people will die in a car accident. 1 in 111 will die in a fall. You can be killed in a gun assault; 1 in 298. Or getting hit by a car as a pedestrian; 1 in 541. You may drown; 1 in 1,121. You don’t even have to leave your house to choke on food; 1 in 2,618, so you should certainly switch to a liquid diet just to be on the safe side. There’s even a 1 in 118,776 chance you will be killed by a dog. It’s a dangerous world out there. Stay home! Besides, I like that there’s no traffic.
Now you have no excuses. The challenge is out there and you know what you can do. Here is the link to the “Reopen America” GoFundMe page: www.gofundme.com/bt6qz-reopen-america
And remember… “They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!”
Update: Gavin Newsom has ordered ABC to start revoking liquor licenses of businesses who open up. Nomad’s is closed while they pursue legal action against King Newsom. We need to fight more than ever!